Make these cute, tasty biscuits for your favourite people this Valentine’s.
These are easy to make but please allow time for the dough to chill.
Makes approx. 18 biscuits (depending on the size of your cutters).
110g unsalted butter
110g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp vanilla extract
250g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
4tbsp jam or lemon curd
Icing sugar for dusting
You’ll also need two heart shaped cutters, one larger than the other.
- Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets (or line the trays with greaseproof paper).
- Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and mix to form a crumbly dough.
- Gather the dough together with your hands and knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- If the dough is sticky, add in a little more flour.
- Shape the dough into a flat disc, wrap in cling film/beeswax wrapping and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC fan (180ºC, gas 4).
- Lightly flour your working surface and rolling pin.
- Roll half the chilled dough out to a 3mm thickness.
- Use the larger heart cutter to stamp out as many heart shapes as you can. Re-roll the dough as necessary. Place on one of the baking sheets.
- Repeat with the remaining dough but this time also use the smaller cutter to stamp out the centres (bake these spare mini hearts as little biscuits too or re-roll for more jammie dodgers).
- Bake the biscuits for 12-14 minutes, or until crisp and pale golden. Leave on the baking sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Spread about 1tsp jam on top of the biscuits without the small hearts cut out. Then place the biscuits with the hearts cut out on top of the jam. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy!