Enjoy this delicious cake with local cream or ice cream. You can add a teaspoon of
cinnamon or ginger to this recipe if you like.
This recipe was kindly given to me by the fabulous Chilterns charity Sunnyside Rural Trust, which features in the book. Rhubarb cake is available at the Sunnyside Up Cafe in Hemel Food Garden when rhubarb is in season.
85g caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp for top of rhubarb
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons milk or buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla or vanilla bean paste
130g plain flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
200g diced rhubarb
To serve: double cream or ice cream.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°F, gas mark 4).
- In a bowl mix eggs and sugar until light.
- Add the melted butter, vanilla, and milk.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt, and mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 8 or 9 inch square or round cake tin.
- Spread the rhubarb on top of the batter and sprinkle with 2 tbsp of sugar
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.